Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) (Review)

September 14, 2017

I just really missed writing book reviews, okay?




Author: Marissa Meyer

Genre: Retelling, YA, Sci-fi, Fantasy

Blurb: Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other.
Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive - when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.

As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner...


Well, shoot. I was about to give this book 3.5 stars.

I was very intrigued when going into this book because I really wanted to see how the author would re-create the story of Little Red Riding Hood. After reading this novel, I found that there was a lot more flexibility used to create this in comparison to Cinder.

As usual, I liked the writing style. However, the world building was somewhat sparse. Also, things were slow in the middle but there was a drastic improvement near the end.

Once again, my favourite character was Cinder. I guess I just didn't really favour the others as much. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the introduction to the three new characters - Scarlet, Thorne and Wolf. Scarlet and Thorne were definitely an acquired taste: Scarlet being a bit too hostile and Thorne being... kinda very dumb? He also kinda tried too hard to be funny but I won't get into that.

"Well," Cinder finally grumbled. "I guess that was pretty fast thinking."
A relieved grin filled up Thorne's face. "We're having another moment, aren't we?"

SHUT UP, BOY! >.<

Whoa, I almost forgot about Kai and Iko. Kai seemed more mature and Iko was adorable as heck. Again. 

 love anime cute cartoon excited GIF
This is lowkey terrifying though
source

Y'know, my one major complaint is..



WHY DID SCARLET AND WOLF KISS WHEN THEY BARELY KNEW EACH OTHER FOR A DAY. WHAT THE FUDGE. It's not that they don't suit each other... they do. But the romance in this book was not necessary.



Recommendation: 13+

Content: One swear word, kissing, innuendo

Four stars out of five




 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I reread this a few months ago and what really annoyed me was how it kept changing perspective. I wanted it to be all about Cinder! But I actually also think it's just a really enjoyable and well written book, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Cinder is the best! xD I like the writing but like Cinder, the middle is pretty weak, unfortunately :(

      Delete
  2. I liked this book way more than I was expecting the first time I read it. Which is weird because nearly every romance trope that I don't like, it uses. I agree about the spoiler though; it was a bit much. I do really like Scar, and I began to like Scarlet and Wolf as a couple more when reading Cress for some reason. XD

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that IS weird xD

      I can't wait to read Cress soon!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Ayyy, I LOVE THE LUNAR CHRONICLES!! Kai and Iko and Cinder are amazing <3 (so are a lot of other people, but you haven't met all of them yet).

    Haha, Thorne can rub one the wrong way when he loses perspective, but I always found him pretty funny. And Scarlet and Wolf... normally I'd 100% agree with you, but when I read it, I felt like all they'd been through together almost justified them since it felt (to me at least) like they've been together so much longer than one day. That was me, though. :)

    Glad you love Cinder and you're enjoying the series! Great review! :D


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I like the other characters as well!

      I understand how you feel that way.

      Delete
  4. I've only read this book once but it was my least favourite book out of the series. I'm not a fan of romance (*gasps*) so that wasn't great, but it's still a great book and now I want to reread the series. (Plus oh my goodness I love Thorne to pieces, I'm sorry you didn't like him!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, same. I remember when you wrote on your blog that you usually hate love interests xD

      Maybe I'll like him when I read the next book.

      Delete

Keep it all clean, man. Well, if you really wanna curse, use minor swear words. And I mean the minorest of minor ones.

"Or what?" you ask in indignation.

"Or else."